Wednesday 13 March 2013

Cool Celebrity Photo Sites images

1290 Avenue of the Americas (formerly Coconuts record store); site of the historic 1994 meeting between Mariah Carey and yours truly
celebrity photo sites
Image by InSapphoWeTrust
I am at the intersection of West 51st Street and Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue), northeast corner. Sure, the red decor of the ATM lobby is interesting, but that's not why I took this photo.

Back in the 1990s, when I was based in New York City, this was a location of Coconuts. And on 21 November 1994, Mariah Carey was here to do a meet-and-greet to sign her then-new Christmas release, Merry Christmas. A key single from that album, "All I Want for Christmas Is You," went on to become the most popular Christmas song ever.

On that day, I was right here. The bank lobby to the right was the store entrance, and this ATM lobby was where Mariah would have sat at a desk to meet with the fans. Out where I am on the sidewalk was where the line was - circling the entire block. After a 12-hour wait, I managed to say hello, and have a chat. (The meet-and-greet ran only two hours, 5PM to 7PM. I had arrived at dawn to line up.)

This event marked my first-ever meeting with my favorite celebrity. I would not have another celebrity meeting until 2006.

To me, this is a bit of a special spot, alongside Barnes & Noble Bookstore, The Grove, Los Angeles (where I had the next celeb meeting - with Anna Nalick, in 2006) and Sony Style, Century City, Los Angeles (where I met Natasha Bedingfield in 2011). To mark the occasion and my return to this spot, I lingered for a while, listening to all three artists on my iPod for a while and singing a few Mariah Carey numbers while at it. (And speaking of Anna Nalick, I am also carrying an autographed CD of hers as a good luck travel charm.)

As one of the few idols of my earlier years, Mariah Carey holds a special place in my heart. And with the passing of my other early idols - Michael Jackson in 2009, Whitney Houston in 2012 - Mariah Carey is also the last early idol of mine who is still alive.


CINEMATHEQUEAWRDF05 008 (2)
celebrity photo sites
Image by DonnaGrayson
Barbara, Elliott, Melodie and Me on the stage after the American Cinematheque Awards honoring Al Pacino at the Beverly Hilton

Photo thanks to Bruce Chambers

American Cinematheque Official Site

Beverly Hilton

Celebrities on Wire Image

On AMC TV January 6th


CINEMATHEQUEAWRDF05 047 (2)
celebrity photo sites
Image by DonnaGrayson
Valerie and Me after the Award Show

Volunteering at the American Cinematheque Awards honoring Al Pacino, at the Beverly Hilton

Photo thanks to Bruce Chambers

Websites:

American Cinematheque Official Site

Beverly Hilton

Celebrities on Wire Image

On AMC TV January 6th


CINEMATHEQUEAWRDF05 048 (2)
celebrity photo sites
Image by DonnaGrayson
Bruce and Me after the Award Show

Volunteering at the American Cinematheque Awards honoring Al Pacino, at the Beverly Hilton

Photo thanks to Bruce Chambers

Websites:

American Cinematheque Official Site

Beverly Hilton

Celebrities on Wire Image

On AMC TV January 6th


CINEMATHEQUEAWRDF05 045 (2)
celebrity photo sites
Image by DonnaGrayson
Shannon and I pose after the Award show

Volunteering at the American Cinematheque Awards honoring Al Pacino, at the Beverly Hilton

Photo thanks to Bruce Chambers

Websites:

American Cinematheque Official Site

Beverly Hilton

Celebrities on Wire Image

On AMC TV January 6th

No comments:

Post a Comment